Sometimes I get emails asking me whether I think joining the military (with its early pension benefit and paid education, etc.) is a good idea. Seeing that I don’t know how to answer this (I grew up in a country where the military relies on a very small professional core and drafting about 1/3 of [...]
Everybody ought to be familiar with the concept of marginal utility, which is the utility/use/satisfaction that adding one more unit brings. For example, suppose you like ice cream cones. Then the marginal utility of the first cone is high. The second is a bit lower, but once the belly fills up and the blood sugar [...]
I have added several points to the frequently asked questions. Most of them are intended for infrequent readers of the blog and they now also cover “frequently voiced concerns” like whether one has a duty to work, the “sure it works now, but what if …”-cases, and various nitpickery about the technical definition of the [...]
Buy the ERE book
- Not enjoying life in extreme early retirement?
- Who needs a college degree anyway?
- Getting in shape without paying a dime
- The economics of Robinson Crusoe
- Money versus resources
- Post your $1-2 recipes
- Get a push lawn mower
- Breaking up with your career …
- Extreme Early Retirement Workshop
- How do I get my spouse to go along with my frugal plans?
Most popular posts
- Manifesto How I became financially independent in 5 years How I live on $7,000 per year Can I retire young? Why so few succeed My list of financial freedom books My 4 hour work week How little do you need to retire? Cash flow diagrams for the poor, the middle class, and the investor class Stranger in a strange land The minimalist kitchen Myths and the future How to live out of a suitcase Podcast: I got interviewed Survival Podcast interview
Other posts of interest
- The service trap
- Why financial independence part I – Early motivations
- Retiring early on $500,000
- The three methods of finance, when enough is enough
- Guestpost Extreme Early Retirement in Germany
- My Early Retirement Story
- To become financially independent at 25
- Guest post: New Beginnings Post Divorce, Post Kids, Post 9-5
- A way out for a young lawyer
- Budget reduction survey results
- Day 7: Going car free
- How to succeed in school without really learning anything
- Guest post: Why I’m pursuing ERE: greed vs. passion
- The best posts of the first half of 2009
- Think Big, Basically and Simply.
Disclaimer / CYA
- The information in this blog is distributed on an "As Is'' basis, without warranty of any kind. The blog owner may have a financial relationship with some of the companies or products mentioned on the blog. This blog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Advertisement does not imply endorsement. Information might not be completely comprehensive and some readers may want to consult additional sources. This blog does not contain professional advice. For professional advice, consult a professional. By reading this blog you acknowledge full responsibility for your actions with respect to any loss or damage caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly in connection with the blog.
- kyle in Music, extraverts, introverts, and …
- hector_garza in Guest post: War resistance through …
- Myakka in Get a push lawn mower
- Myakka in Get a push lawn mower
- windersports in How I live on $7,000 per year
- Myakka in How do I get my spouse to go along …
- here in Early Retirement Extreme for sale: …
- pirate_wench in Poll: How much do you need to retir…
- Thomas | Your d… in Not enjoying life in extreme early …
- Twice as Much M… in How I live on $7,000 per year
- My_Brain_Gets_Itchy on "Bike commuting - needing advice"
- My_Brain_Gets_Itchy on "Public Plea for Support of Something Cool"
- George the original one on "Can someone explain the appeal of IRAs to ERE?"
- Chris on "Bike commuting - needing advice"
- susswein on "Can someone explain the appeal of IRAs to ERE?"
- Chad on "barstool economics"
- Seneca on "barstool economics"
- BennKar on "A porn star realizes she should've saved and invested"
- KevinW on "Bike commuting - needing advice"
- Seneca on "Can someone explain the appeal of IRAs to ERE?"
- Able was I ERE on "Net worth of 100k at 29"
- Chad on "Can someone explain the appeal of IRAs to ERE?"
21 day makeover
- Day 1: Finding a place to live Day 2: Decluttering and managing stuff Day 3: Grocery shopping Day 4: Drop the cell phone plan Day 5: Find a free hobby Day 6: Clothes Day 7: Going car free Day 8: Get engaged! Day 9: Budgeting Day 10: Calculating net worth Day 11: Connecting your stuff with your neighbors Day 12: Establishing a savings account Day 13: Insurance Day 14: Investing for early retirement – Part 1 Day 15: The first two weeks of the make over Day 16: The stuff you actually keep and use Day 17: Maintaining and repairing things Day 18: Join a challenge Day 19: Getting rid of your TV (addiction) Day 20: Own classics Day 21: Investing for early retirement – Part 2
- Beyond Growth
- Brave New Life
- Daniel Suelo
- Free at 45
- Frugal Retirement Living
- Investing For A Living
- Lacking Ambition
- Mr Money Mustache
- New Escapologist
- Of Two Minds
- One Hundred Dollars a Month
- Our Take on Freedom
- Retired Syd
- Rob Evolves
- Simple Living in Suffolk
- The Online investing AI Blog
- The Spartan Student
- To Simplify