I’m making a page on the blog with everything that pertains to the book. Meanwhile, I figured I’d enlighten you on the process of getting the book into your hands. Here we go.
Write the book (the easy part).
Reread, edit (DW&I), and format to something readable to order a print copy to see how it will look.
Fix fonts, etc. for printer/publisher.
Write back cover text and online store text.
Get format approval.
Wait for proof to arrive.
Cover design done.
Mail proof to editor.
Editor copy-edits, etc.
Mail edited text back to me.
Add in edits. Reformat the book. Print it out.
Mail prints back to editor for final check.
- Editor picks words to index and does final check.
- Mails/emails revisions back.
- Input revisions and code the index.
- Third reformat. The page count is now known.
- Coverdesigner adjusts template for revised spine width and sends cover to me.
- Printer approves cover + interior.
- Order second proof.
- Wait for proof to arrive.
- Approve proof.
- Book is for sale at printer.
- Book is for sale at amazon.
- Set up kindle version.
- Book is for sale via kindle.
Of course, sometimes there is a need to go back and redo some steps. For example, maybe there’s a problem with the final proof and I have to go in and reformat, reorder, and reapprove.
Note that I’m not holding off for a coordinated launch. One day, the book will be for sale. I expect it to take 1-2 days between it being available directly from the printer and getting onto amazon and the extended channels (e.g. requesting it from your local book store).
Originally posted 2010-08-13 12:19:51.